Tuesday, May 25, 2010

So close, but so far away...

Boy am I ready for this deployment to be OVER! Today marks 11 months since James deployed, which means we hopefully only have one month left. Now whether or not James gets home by that mark remains to be seen. Nevertheless, we'll just hope and pray that they get his butt home safe and sound within the next 31 days.

With that being said, the end is definitely in sight. Unfortunately, like with any deployment, that last month tends to drag on. Time always seems to go slower the closer you get to the end. We're so ready for it to be over that we almost focus too much on the countdown. Staying busy is key, but it's hard sometimes...especially right now. I lack the motivation to really get out and go/see/do. Really, I'd rather just be a hermit and hang out this last month.

Over the last few months, I was fortunate enough to have several visits with friends and family. Well, all of that has come to a close and for the rest of the deployment, I'll just have the crazy basset hound here to keep me company. It's almost kind of nice to finally have some time to decompress after all the visits and craziness that came with it. I know I've got plenty to put on my to-do list if I find the motivation to work on it. Between the upcoming move (if we ever get those official orders!) and vacation ahead, there's plenty to get done. That elliptical has collected way too much dust over the last month, and I suppose some spring cleaning is in order. Now lets just see if I make a dent in either of those endeavors.

I can say that neither of those tasks were accomplished today. Instead, I worked on my 10-year afghan. Back when we first lost Jake in 2003, my aunt mailed me 16 skeins of yarn with the instructions to teach myself how to crochet and make an afghan. At the time, James was off in the field for a month of training and she figured this would get my mind off of losing our son. Well...I'm still working on that afghan. I touch it for maybe a week a year. I know, pretty impressive! So far, in 2010, I've surpassed that week-a-year standard so maybe I'll beat my own goal and get it done before the 10 year mark.

Being that I was at least motivated enough to work on that afghan for a few hours, I had to find a way to keep Obadiah entertained. Without some kind of treat, he would sit and whine at me all afternoon, so I gave him one of his favorites...a Checkup (an edible treat that cleans his teeth). When I got it out from the treat cabinet, he got so excited that he ran straight to his bed. He hasn't had one of these delicious wonders since I was pregnant with Liv, so he went nuts. He kept trying to shake paws without me even bending down to receive the shake, so he was basically waving at me. It's cute to see him work so hard to prove that he deserves a reward, ha. Well, from this picture, you can tell he was basically in heaven...

Clearly, the worries of the world are tossed by the wayside when eating one of these. That is...until a camera is brought out and interrupts the event...

I'm just glad he does a good job of cleaning up after himself...


I have a feeling he'll be getting plenty of those Checkups during the next month while I try and find things to keep me busy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
All About Reading