Thursday, August 6, 2015

Samuel and his Bible...

Raise your hand if you don't read your Bible nearly as much as you know you should. Yeah...I've got my hand held high and I'm not proud. However, there was a moment tonight that made me feel like we're at least doing something right...

Our church sends home a worksheet to go through with your child throughout the week that follows along with what was talked about that Sunday. I was really good for awhile about reading through it with Samuel and discussing the questions and topics each week. However, I've sadly been slacking lately -- not only with that, but reading in general. I've let the chaos of our schedule get in the way. So beyond our bedtime prayers, Sam has just been learning about the Bible at church. At least he gets it twice a week since we've been attending services at two different churches on Saturday and Sunday -- a whole different topic right there, ha. 

So while giving Sam a snack when he should've already been in bed (because he, like Caleb, has his daddy's appetite and is always hungry), I noticed the church worksheet hanging on the fridge. It's been there 2 weeks, but I thought with how quiet the house was at the moment with Caleb and James already in bed, that was as good of a time as any to go through it. So, I started reading through the verses, the lesson and then got to the questions. Sam didn't really appear to be paying attention, but rather was 100% focused on those pretzels. Then after reading through the whole thing, the last question was for the toddler -- where can we learn more about God's Word? Without hesitation, Sam jumped up and excitedly shouted out, "in my Bible!!!! My Bible's upstairs!!! We can learn there!!!" To be honest, I didn't think he was even going to respond, let alone with such enthusiasm! It just melted my heart and made me happy to know that even though I feel like we're totally slacking, he's picking things up and is fully aware. It was also a good reminder that along with our daily lessons of pre-k work that we're doing now, I should tie in a lesson from the Bible as well as a weekly memory verse. Our conversation while snacking on pretzels continued for a little while after that, but his initial response made me just want to squeeze him! I'm so proud of that boy. 

God uses the most unexpected moments to speak to you at times and for me, that late night snack with the boy was definitely one of them. I'm so proud of sweet Sam. Even at 4 years old, he let's God shine through him and I see it not only in our conversations, but when he's with others. He's such a blessing to everyone he meets and while I'm obviously bias, I'm not the only one to say it so I have to believe it's true. Our little miracle…I can't wait to see what God has in store for him as he grows up... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
All About Reading