Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Few Goodbyes And An Untimely Hello...

The past week has been a bit crazy around here. Not only did we have a lot going on, but my lack of sleep finally caught up with me and I am now sicker than I've been in a LONG time -- probably not since I was 7 months pregnant with Livy (I never did figure out if that was swine flu that I got back then)...

Among the madness, we said goodbye to both our 1SG and CO over the last week. To go along with that, we attended one last BBQ on Sunday where -- much to my surprise -- the CO gave me a little going away present. It was so sweet of him! I had to laugh when I read what the plaque said -- "while assigned as wife of..." -- ha! I always get a kick out of the wording chosen for things in the military. Just like when Sam was born...he received an issue of orders from our LTC -- a bit cheesy, but cute.

While I'm not a fan of living in GA, I have really enjoyed our time here with this unit. The leadership in our company got along really well and I am sad to see it all end. It was a nice change from our last unit, and we couldn't have asked for a better experience while going through a fourth (stressful) pregnancy. With the leadership all going separate ways -- James will be leaving the company in a week, too -- Sam and I attended the Change of Command ceremony as a final goodbye to our CO on Monday.

I didn't have much of a view, as a massive metal post was standing in between me and the whole thing, BUT I did get a decent view of James as he narrated the ceremony, ha.


I failed to take any pictures afterwards, but Sam and I were able to meet the incoming commander during the reception. We also stood and talked with the LTC's wife for a bit -- did I mention she just got back from a trip to OR where it was in the 60s? Oh, I'm jealous on both accounts -- being in OR and enjoying that wonderful, cool weather! I know our chances of moving back to WA anytime soon are slim, so I suppose I'll just vicariously live through others when it comes to enjoying the PNW...

So while saying goodbye to our 1SG and CO, I also said hello to an unwanted guest -- the flu. I've felt a little off the past few days, but it was nothing more than a very minor head cold that I thought would fade away with a little extra sleep. Wrong...While out getting Samuel's (free) photo shoot done earlier today, I started to feel worse and worse. I think I was in denial of the whole thing, as I haven't been this sick in a long time and I really didn't want to deal with it right now. Well, by the time the night hit, there was no denying it any longer and Tylenol Flu became my friend -- that and Airborne and anything else that might come to mind. James was awesome and stayed up much later than planned and took care of Samuel while I tried to get a little extra sleep. (Ignore the fact that I'm up right now due to insomnia...) Ugh, I hate the symptoms of the flu...I hate how miserable you feel...Oh, how I can't wait for this to go away so I can go back to enjoying my sleepless nights with the little man!

Speaking of the little man...

While at the photo shoot earlier today, the photographer asked for Samuel's pacifier to help comfort him while they stripped him down to nothing. The cute little guy was fine with being posed in every possible way as long as he had that heavenly little thing in his mouth!


Then once the photographer was ready to actually take the picture, her assistant would take it out -- what a tease! By the end, the assistant was introducing his thumb to him between poses. Guess what he found when we got home?


Here's hoping the little man doesn't pick up my sickness and chooses tomorrow to be a day of rest! I think we'll be listening to the Lord of the Dance soundtrack a LOT since that sends Sam straight into dreamland!

3 comments:

  1. He is so precious! Are you staying in GA and he's just moving units on post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better soon! And can't wait to see the pictures. . . how'd you score a free photo shoot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, I'm SO sorry that you are sick with the flu. I can't imagine how tough it is being sick while taking care of a newborn.

    That's awesome that you were able to have a free photo shoot! Can't wait to see those pictures posted! :)

    Hopefully, James' new unit will be just as nice as the one he is leaving now. I hope you get to feeling better SOON, also!

    ReplyDelete

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
All About Reading