Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fundatory...

For the fellow military wives out there, I'm sure you're all too familiar with "fundatory" events -- a term used for military functions in which are mandatory by the leadership and are claimed to be fun...

We spent a good majority of our day at such an event earlier. It was the first time that they got the entire company together since they moved down here from Ft. Knox. It ended up being a great turnout -- about 125 people showed up. I have no doubt the large attendance was partly due to the fact that it was mandatory for most. We met where they train the AIT soldiers (we're part of a Bradley mechanic training unit) and had a bbq. Since James had to be there before most so that he could help set up, he showed me around...

All of the brand new AIT soldiers spend their days training on these puppies...



I would never be able to work in a Bradley...I felt claustrophobic just sitting in there!


The VMI (Vehicle Maintenance Instruction) building brought back memories when it came to the smell -- it was exactly like Allison Transmission (part of GM). I had a year-long internship there in high school, not to mention the fact that my dad retired from AT after working there for 30+ years. In fact, I think my dad helped build transmissions for some of the tanks we still use today...






A few of those shots were totally random, but an excuse to practice with the new lens. I couldn't help myself. I'm still getting the hang of it, but thanks to last week's class, I easily set up the white balance!

A couple hours after we got there to set up, everyone arrived and we joined in on our little pitch-in. Since this was the first time I met anyone outside of our 1SG and CO (and wives), there were many of the typical questions asked..."do you live on post?", "do you have kids?", "how long have you been here?", etc. As you can imagine, it was loads of fun answering one of those particular questions over and over -- not that we can ever escape it. Aside from that, the event went smoothly though, and I hear the plan is to do this again in June. Maybe we'll be fortunate enough to bring Samuel along to the next one and have a more upbeat answer to the typical question...

1 comment:

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
All About Reading