Saturday, January 29, 2011

Grief Never Goes Away...

So while browsing various news articles the other day, I ran across an article about Robert Redford that I found quite interesting to read. Have any of you read it? The article mentions various aspects about his life, but what stood out to me the most was that he talked about his son's death. I never even knew he lost a son to SIDS -- how awful! In the article, he pretty much stated that he's never gotten over it and it happened over 50 years ago. I guess that just goes to show you that it just absolutely does not go away. Sure, you learn to live with it, but you never forget it, nor do you get away from the pain. I appreciate the fact that Robert Redford opened up about this -- the same goes for anybody else in the limelight. It's a very personal pain, but with each person that speaks out, we're able to put a face on such a loss...

If you're interested in reading the full article, here's a link...

5 comments:

  1. I was just talking to my husband about how you never really hear about celebrities (other than the Kennedys) who have lost babies. I know Keanue (sp) Reeves had a stillborn baby girl, but hadn't heard about Robert Redfords tragedy.

    I agree with your title - it never goes away. It gets easier and it changes with time, but it's always there. Just twisted up with everything in life - pain, anger, happiness, joy . . .

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might sound off topic but it kind of relates. While I was reading the letters of John and Abigail Adams, you get to the part where Abigail delivers a stillborn child while John is away. I almost scanned those letter and sent them to you because it was interesting to read about how they dealt with such grief and loss. I think John said something similar to how he could have never imagined the amount of love he felt for someone he had never met and that the grief was unexplainable.. I am paraphrasing, I don't remember his exact words. He also wrote about how he was so worried that he was going to lose Abigail as well and he thanked God that she had lived even though he had lost a daughter. I'll have to find it and show you sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, it's amazing how many people have been touched by the experiencing of losing a child. It is such a shhhh topic, one that I think we are all working hard to get out in the open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the article. You'll never know these things about celebrities unless they come out and say it themselves. I couldn't imagine how Robert Redford and his wife got through this loss 50 years ago. Like he said, nobody knows what SIDS is back then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Until I saw that article, I didn't realize that he had a son who was born still. Hearing about such losses is always so heartbreaking. I am grateful that people with so much fame are willing to share their stories. Especially before finding baby center and the blogs, talking about miscarriage and stillbirth felt like such a taboo. I felt so alone and isolated. Your post's title is so true. The pain never goes away and we never move on. Sending you love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
All About Reading