Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Day In The Life Of A 13 Month Old...

So as I sit here staring at the blog, I know I should be in bed. After all, Samuel has two more teeth coming in so he has been protesting that amazing thing called sleep. But what can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment...

Today was a great day, but a long one. Since moving here, I've tried to keep Sam busy with new things and today was no different. It started out with Samuel going to Story Time at the local library for the very first time. After a rough start consisting of a few screams and holding onto my shirt for dear life, Samuel eventually calmed down and had a blast! I think the poor guy thought I was leaving him there (he doesn't handle separation very well), but once he realized I was there to stay, Mr. Social Butterfly appeared. It was sweet watching him interact with the other kids -- especially the little Olivia that happened to be turning 2 tomorrow. Talk about bittersweet! Oh, I miss our baby girl...and to watch Sam play with a little girl with that name and that age...yeah, bittersweet. Considering the emotions felt by that craziness, it helped that Sam then brought laughs to all the parents. Miss Olivia brought cupcakes to share with everyone in celebration of her birthday. If you all remember how Samuel reacted to his smash cake (and I'm not sure if I blogged about his similar reaction to his Cookie Monster cupcake after getting his 1 year shots)...it wasn't any different today. He looked excited and took a bite, then gave me a weird look and spit it all out. Then after I took a bite, he eagerly wanted another try -- only to spit that out, too. The parents laughed and one said "Hey! I don't want any of that refined sugar! I need my healthy all-natural food..." As Samuel reached for the Ziploc containing his whole grain wheat bread that I had in my purse for him. What a strange kid! I know if I have the choice between a cupcake and a slice of whole grain wheat bread...well, I wouldn't make the same choice as Sam.

This picture pretty much sums up his time at the library...


It reminds me of his 2 month picture...


What is it with Samuel looking shocked/surprised? Ha. As you can see, he created his first masterpiece while at the library -- a moon and stars. I definitely plan on taking him weekly after seeing how much he (eventually) enjoyed it!

After story time and picking out a DVD to rent with his new library card (Samuel chose Little Einsteins), we headed to post to eat lunch with James. Sam had so much energy that I took him to the toddler playground and then the pool afterwards. I'm seriously in trouble with this kid. He kept trying to go down the slide head first at the playground -- no matter how many times I would put him in the sitting position -- and then kept pushing away from me in the pool. He has been to the pool several times now and has figured out the whole kicking thing and now likes to hold on to the side of the pool and pull himself up, etc. Well, I always walk/tread water from one side of the pool to the other while holding him out on his stomach to promote splashing and kicking and now he tries to push me away. The kid has no fear and wants to explore the water on his own. It definitely makes for interesting times, ha.

Once we got in the car to head home, he immediately passed out. After not really getting much of a nap today, I thought I was in for a long one once we got home. Of course, that didn't happen. He was wide-eyed and ready to go once we got inside. So with a hyper boy, a hyper basset (after hours in the cage) and a tired momma, we headed to Sam's room to play. That's always my go-to when I'm exhausted, but want to allow for Sam to play and explore. To go along with all these new experiences, he decided to break out a few toys that until now, he had no interest in. So with that...I decided to break out the real camera and capture it...

Anyone remember this classic Tupperware toy? I had received it as a gift for Jacob back in '03 and now Samuel is LOVING it!


Oh, the drool that comes when new teeth arrive. #9 and #10 are on their way!


That bay window is Sam's new fav. He climbs up on his chair, then tries as hard as he can to get on the bay window. Luckily, he can't quite get up there yet, so instead, he takes his toys and puts them up there...


The boy is always on the move...always...


And Obadiah is always there to torment -- poor pup...


And for the first time, Sam found interest in this Ikea toy...


I just love watching those cute little fingers go to work...


Usually by the time he has dinner and a bath he's rubbing his eyes, but the crazy kid was still wired at 9pm. So the fun continued for quite awhile. I'll be curious to see how tomorrow goes. We have our first FRG (Family Readiness Group) meeting for this new unit and Smashburger has their kids eat free deal -- I think Sam might be testing out his very first burger tomorrow night...

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
All About Reading